Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Market Recipe/ A Tuna Sandwich... Done Right

Market Recipe
Ingredient/ 1 Jar of Olive Tapenade 
Recipe/ A Tuna Sandwich... Done Right
Dietary Consideration/ Dairy Free, Low Fat, High Protein (and tasty!)

I know what you are thinking... "A TUNA SANDWICH?" and while yes I am pretty sure most of you make a killer tuna sandwich, or know someone who does... regardless, this post had to be done. Yesterday we spent the entire day out biking on an empty stomach... needless to say... I WAS HUNGRY! In our desperate stouper we grabbed a tuna sandwich from the closest sandwich shop we could find. I will spare you the gory details, but to sum it up... it was 4pm, it was the first thing I put in my stomach all day... and I only ate half... and that was a stretch. eeek. We spent the rest of the day making up for the disaster that was that sandwich. Earlier in the week I was at the indoor market at the Namal in Tel Aviv where I found a small stand that made all of their own olive oil, spreads, tapenades and cured olives. Long story short I stocked up and now have a mouthful of sandwich that most definitely erases yesterday's fishy memory. See recipe below!


A Tuna Sandwich Done Right
Makes 2 servings

Ingredients/
1 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
1/2 tablespoons white-wine vinegar
Coarse salt and ground pepper
1 can water-packed tuna
1/4 tomato
1/4 small red onion
BREAD OF YOUR CHOICE (I used left over foccacia that I made a day earlier recipe here)
3 tablespoons jarred olive tapenade
1/4 cup fresh oregano or basil leaves
2 hard-cooked large eggs

Directions/
In a medium bowl, whisk together olive oil, white-wine vinegar; season with coarse salt and ground pepper; toss with tuna and red onion. Cut bread of your choosing in half horizontally; remove most of soft interior bread. Spread 3 tablespoons jarred olive tapenade on bottom half. Top with 1 cup packed fresh oregano or basil leaves, then 1 hard-cooked large eggs sliced; season with salt and pepper. Top with tuna, then sliced tomatoes and close sandwich. Bite... Chew... Swallow and enjoy sandwich bliss.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...