Sunday, June 19, 2011

Market Recipe/ Vegan Ramp Pesto and the Island of Culinary Gold

Market Recipe
Ingredient/ Ramps
Recipe/ Vegan Ramp Pesto


This past weekend I was taken to an Island 3 miles off the coast of Portland, Maine... Now I don't want to give you too many details about the island because that would defeat the purpose of "secret treasure" appeal but I will divulge a bit... I am not sure if you all have heard of a Ramp (or better known as a wild baby leek) but they are only in season for about 3 weeks each year and when they are available you can only find them at local farmers markets for an exorbitant amount of money... Which leads me to this glorious island! ALL 26 ACRES OF IT IS COVERED IN RAMPS! Needless to say we went ramp crazy and filled 2 bags worth (retailing around $500). From our findings we made about 5 quarts of Ramp Pesto, Ramp Buttermilk Biscuits and a Ramp, Morel and Potato Frittata. I wanted to try pickling them but I guess I'll save that for next year. The Pesto will either last me until next years trip to ramp-ville or I will be totally sick of it... a risk I am willing to take! If you were able to snag some of these garlicky spring vegetables I suggest you try the recipe below, or you could even use regular leeks! Happy Ramping!

Thanks Nick and Rippleffect for the loot ;) wikilink
come over and try some!

Ramp Pesto
Ingredients/
1 lb ramps
1 cup toasted almonds (or any kind of nut but I have had the best experience with almonds)
1 lemon, juiced
1/4 cup olive oil
salt to taste

Directions/
Place all ingredients in a food processor and pulse until well combined. Season with salt. ENJOY ON EVERYTHING!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...